Thursday, February 5, 2009

Happy Birthday boys

Today Nate and Alex are two years old. I can not believe the time has gone by so fast. It seems as though it was just yesterday we were getting ready to have them.

I though on this post I would tell the story of their birth. So here goes.

I had only one request from my husband and that was to wait until after the Superbowl to deliver them. Well I worked a 12 hour shift both Saturday and Sunday that weekend so my chances were pretty good to not deliver. I went to work that Sunday (Superbowl Sunday) and worked my 12 hour shift as usual. I actually liked going work as it was a break from, my then 2 year old. By eh end of my shift I was so tired and one of my co-workers said you look different and my response was "yea I feel like I am done with this pregnancy" I went home and relaxed and ate a meal before going bed of course because of the fact that if I did go into labor I would have eaten because you know how it is . Those wonderful icechip you get in labor. So I ate and went to bed.

I got up around midnight to go to the bathroom and was contracting a little but nothing new so I got a quick snack and some juice and got back in bed. Well I never got back to sleep. The contractions were keeping me awake so I got up again and went down stairs to lay on the couch and watch TV hoping that would put me to sleep. Well no such luck. I started timing my contracting and they were 3 min apart on the nose.

As I had just left work only a few short hours earlier I knew it was busy and that Monday morning was busy as well. So I kept that in the back of my head as I continued to keep track of the contracting that were 3 min apart. I did that for about 3 hours and then called my work and talked to the night charge she said to come on in.

For a little background we had been to the Dr on Friday and I was only dilated 1 cm and both of the boys were head down. Things were looking good for a vaginal delivery. (I had prepared my self for a c-section being as they were twins.)

So I went upstairs and told John "we gotta go" and he wanted to know if my water broke and I said "no". (It had broken with my first, two weeks early.) I told him we just had to go . So at 3 in the morning we loaded up Jacob and took him to my parents and then headed to the hospital.

We got all check in and settled and by this time it was about 5 am and one of my coworkers came in to check my cervix and it was still 1 cm. So we decide to stat inducing my labor and get things going. So we did that and waited till my doctor came in for rounds.

That was another great thing was that my doctor was going to be leaving out of town the following Friday so I was excited to get to have her deliver.

So the Dr. cam in around 8:30 and checked me and wanted to do an ultrasound to confirm that both boys were still head down. Well low and behold baby B was not head down but breech. Baby A was still head down so we had some decisions to make. Our Dr told us we could just do a c-section or we could keep inducing and deliver baby A then attempt to externally turn baby B after A delivered. After thinking about it and having a 2 year old at home I wanted to try and deliver without a c-section.

She could not break my water because baby A's head was not far enough down in the pelvis so we continued on with the pitocin and she said she wouldd be back at lunch time to check on us and hopefully be able to break my water then. Well in the mean time I knew there was a c-section going to happen so I got my epidural and waited till 12:30

The Dr came back at 12:30 and was able to break my water and we went from there. She had a afternoon surgery at another hospital so she said she would check in before leaving our hospital to see how we were doing.

She came back an hour later and I was 10 cm dilated and baby A was very ready to come out. So we rolled down to the OR and after three pushes at 2:02 pm Nathan Henry was born weighing 6 pounds and 3 ounces.

After Nathan was delivered I got a little nervous. They brought over the ultrasound to make sure baby B was still breech and he was so they began the rotation checking with the ultrasound to make sure it worked and one Dr was holding the ultrasound and one was turning then when they were finished turning, which took all of 1 min, one Dr held baby B in position and we waited for the next contraction and once it came I pushed three times and at 2:07 Alexander Cleary was born and weighed 5 pounds and 9ounces. The boys were born at 36 weeks and 4 days gestation.

Piece of cake it was such a wonderful delivery and it was so special to deliver at where I worked with all of my friends and coworkers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! How come you didn't continue to update your blog? I think you should start keeping it up to date! :) I want to be able to know what you're up to... I miss you!